Quran 9:5 - Kill the disbelievers wherever you find them
"And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give Zakat, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful."
To understand this verse you must look for the whole story and the most important thing is to look for the reasons why Muslims were commanded to kill disbelievers and who are those disbelievers specifically.
First. Let's see the story:
At the year 6 of the Hijri calendar when prophet Mohammed was exiled to Madinah and was prevented he and all his Muslims companies to go to Mecca, and when he wanted perform Umrah with his companions so he sent one of his companions to negotiate with his enemies in Mecca an agreement and after long time of negotiations they had an agreement called "Al-Hudaibia Reconciliation" and there are its terms:
- Anyone can join this agreement in the aside of Mohammed or in the side of the Mecca people in the future.
- It's not allowed to attack each other's tribes.
- No war or fighting at all for 10 years .
- The prophet Mohammed and his companions can perform Omrah in El-Masjid El-Haram in the next year and people of Mecca can't prevent him.
When (Quraish tribe) betrayed the prophet Mohammed and they had an individual agreement with prophet Mohammed's enemies and not only this , they also attacked the tribe of Bano Bakr which was strong allies of the prophet Mohammed.
And that's why the prophet Mohammed decided to conquer them because they betrayed the agreement first and he could control Mecca at the year 8 and when he controlled Mecca he captured 10 thousands of disbelievers as prisoners and he said to them " what do you think I'm gonna do to you?" They said. " a generous and son of generous man ". He replied " then go you are all free " he released All of them.
But there are many who escaped from Mecca and tried to regain their power to fight again the Muslims. Second, here we comes to the reason of why God commanded prophet Mohammed to kill them . The reason is for betraying him although they had the Hudaibia Reconciliation. And they wanted to fight him again.
But there was three very important exceptions was mentioned in the verses 5,6,7 of Surat number 9, and those exactions was:
- Give them four months until they do whatever they want, escaping or converting to Islam.
- If anyone of them come to the prophet asked for peace and safety then the prophet obligated to secure him until he learn about Islam from the prophet Mohammed and he can go back again or join Muslims but he is secured in both cases.
- Never attack or kill those people and tribes who joined the Hudaibia reconciliation " agreement " and didn't betray you . . That means the only disbelievers who will prophet Mohammed fight and kill are the one who betrayed him and killed his allies " Bano Bakr " . Not all disbelievers.